This make your own sign demonstration was sent to me by a talented Do It Yourselfer. She wanted to share with you how to create your own inspirational sign. Here, with the help of her lovely assistant are the instruction and follow along pics to help you make your own. These signs make amazing room decorations or great homemade personalized gifts for your friends.
You will need:
- 1 canvas
- Paint in desired letter colour
- Paint in desired background colour
- Paint Brush
- Vinyl Stickers
- Paint your canvas the colour you want your letters to be. I use either acrylic or chalk paint (chalk paint dries faster).
- Let dry 20-30 mins. Put outside in the sun for a faster dry time.
- Draw straight lines lightly with a pencil where you want your words to be on the board.
- Peel and stick your vinyl letters just above the pencil line. Make sure they are centred and spaced evenly. I used vinyl sticker letters that you can purchase from any craft store.
- Check that all the letters are firmly stuck on by running your finger or nail along the top and edges of the stickers.
- *Most important step* Paint another coat of your letter colour over the letters to prevent leaks. Don’t worry about painting to the edges. You only need to do this coat over the letters.
- Once dry, paint your backround colour over the whole canvas, and on the edges/sides.
- Once dry, peel the letters off using a toothpick to get it started.
- And you’re done! Hang or lean your picture in a room, or give it as a gift!
Write in the comments to tell us how yours turned out and leave your tips and tricks. Or post a pic to instagram and tag #ggcmagazine.