This woven heart has origins from a danish Christmas ornament but it also makes for a cute Valentine for your bestie or that special someone. It is a great little holder for a Valentine’s sweet or two, so why not treat your friends to a woven heart basket with their favourite candy inside. You can make them out of paper but the felt ones are easier to work with. I found the inspiration for these hearts on Pinterest.com
- 2 rectangular pieces of felt
2″ x 5 1/2″ (5cm x 14cm)
- Fold each rectangle of felt in half and then place one on top of the other.
- Holding both pieces together, cut the non folded end into a semi-circle.
- Starting at the folded straight edge, cut the 3 straight lines 2″ up toward the curved edge. One in the middle and one on either side of the middle, equal distance apart. This will make 4 equal loops for weaving. *If you are having trouble with 4 loops, cut 2 lines and weave with three to make it easier.
- Separate the two coloured pieces but keep them folded.
- Start with the first colour (blue) on your right side and the second colour (green) on your left side on a 90 degree angle to each other.
- Begin weaving the 1st loop of the right colour (blue) through the left side’s (green) 4th loop.
- Next weave the 3rd loop of the left side (green) through the 1st loop of the right (blue)
- Weave the 1st loop of the right (blue) through the 2nd loop of the left (green)
- Weave the 1st loop of the left (green) through the 1st loop of the right (blue)
- You have now completed the first row.
- Continue like this with the second loop of the right side (blue) but alternate so that the 4th loop of the left side (green) goes through the 2nd loop of the right (blue)
- Repeat with the 3rd and 4th loops of the right side (blue), trying to keep the loops flat, but don’t worry about how straight they are until you finished weaving.
- Once all the loops are woven, straighten your loops as best you can. It should look like a heart now.
- If you gently pull apart the tops of the heart you should have a small heart shaped basket. Fill your heart with goodies or leave by itself in heart form.
*Hint: sometime the back of the heart looks better than the front 😉
Write in the comments to tell us how yours turned out and leave your tips and tricks. Or post a pic to instagram and tag #ggcmagazine.