Our resident “Ask a Dietitian”, Joanne sent me this recipe. She says its a “quick and easy weeknight dinner” that you can help mom prepare. It’s Healthy and a great source of fiber but don’t tell her teens, because they love it.
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can (796ml/28 fl oz) tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (540 ml/19 oz) white beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1 package (39 g) chili seasoning mix
- 16 medium whole-wheat tortilla shells
- Fixings: Grated lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, grated cheddar, avocados
- In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, brown turkey. Drain excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, beans, cream cheese and chili seasoning. Stir until well combined and cream cheese is melted. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place approximately ¼-½ cup of turkey mixture (depending on size desired) on a whole-wheat tortilla. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, avacado and cheese as desired. Fold the sides over filling and roll the tortilla like an envelope.
NOTES: This mixture freezes really well. Makes a great leftover lunch sent to school in a thermos with baked pita chips for scooping or rolled in a soft tortilla.
Calories: 144 Fat: 8.1 g Carbohydrates: 16.6 g Sugars: 10 g Fiber: 2.5 g Protein: 3.8 g Sodium: 47 mg Potassium: 60 mg