I carry a water bottle with me wherever I go to stay hydrated, especially in the summer. But sometimes I wish I had an extra hand. This easily made water bottle holder solves my problem, making sure my water is always “hand”-ily by my side. This craft was inspired by fivelittlechefs.com and makes a cute end of year Teacher’s gift, or birthday party loot bag.
- Craft Mat or Parchment Paper
- 2 different patterns of Duct Tape (You can get fun patterned Duct Tape at the Dollar Store)
- Tape Measure
- Cut 2 pieces of duct tape 9″ (23cm) long.
- Place one piece along the bottom of the other so that they overlap and make wider piece that is 3″ (8cm) in width. This will become the outside of the holder.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second inside piece the same width. Set these 2 sections aside.
- Cut a 2″ (5cm) section of tape and cut of the corners in a round way to make a circle. Repeat to make a second circle. Set aside.
- Using the second pattern of tape, cut an 8″ (20cm) section of tape and fold it lengthwise on itself sticking it together.
- Cut a 45″ (114cm) section of tape and fold it lengthwise on itself sticking it together. This will become the strap. You may need help from a friend to do this, have one person hold the tape while the other goes along its length sticking it together.
- Take the strap from step 6 and one of the 9″ pieces from step 1. Flip the 9″ piece so that the sticky side is up. Stick the strap to the piece at 1″ (2.5cm) and 5″ (13cm) in a U shape as shown.
- Take the 8″ folded section from step 5 and stick it to the same 9″ piece at 3″ (7.5cm) and 7″ (18cm) in a U shape as shown. Make sure that both U’s are relatively the same length when you curl in the 9″ piece so that the bottom of the water bottle will sit on both.
- Take the second 9″ piece from step 2 and place it on top of the first piece to hold the straps in place.
- Place a water bottle in the holder, curl the 9″ piece around it and flip it over so you are looking at the bottom.
- Stick one of the circle pieces of tape to the cross in the bottom.
- Take the water bottle out of the holder and place the other circle tape on top of the first circle from the inside.
- Cut a 3″ (8cm) piece of the first type of tape.
- Place the water bottle back in the holder, loosely (you need to be able to get the water bottle in and out easily) curl the 9″ piece around it and secure it closed with the 3″ piece of tape.
- Cut a 3″ (8cm) piece of the second type of tape.
- Tape the ends of the strap together by placing each end on the same side of the tape and folding it over lengthwise.
If you want to make this for your own reusable water bottle, then measure the circumferance of that bottle at its widest point and add 1/2″ (1cm). Then use that measurement instead of the 9″ (23cm) measurement in steps 1 and 2.
Write in the comments to tell us how yours turned out. Where did you take yours? To the Park? To the beach? To a concert?